Monday, October 11, 2010

The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same

This is my very first post and I am so excited.  I have procrastinated on starting a blog for years now.  I am back in the United States and I feel as though I should not put this off any longer.  As I stated in my profile, my goal is to bring you all things that are beautiful, creative, and informational.  So here we go....

Have you ever heard of the old saying, the more things change the more they stay the same?
Well, I am blessed and lucky to have lived in Germany, Japan, and Italy.  I have travel to several different countries such as, Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic.  Every culture is different and I have learned so many things from each country.  I still look forward to traveling to other places that are on my list.

When I was a baby, my grandmother fed us "from the table."  This means there was no baby food bought.  Whatever everyone else ate, that is what we ate.  While living in Japan, I noticed that the Japanese feed their children "from the table."  I have search the internet high and low for the equipment I would see my friend use but unfortunately I had no luck.  My Japanese friend would come over with her baby and if she at an apple she would have a tool that looked something like a grater.  She would grate the apple and maybe add a little juice and feed her baby an apple also.

Now do not get me wrong there is baby food in Japan but my friends would use this grater apparatus and feed their children some of the same foods that they would eat.

Amazon carries several baby food mills.  I think that this is great for those mothers on the go but still want to feed their kids natural fruits and vegetables. 

This is a Green Sprouts Baby Food Mill and I think that it is a great item for moms on the go to have. 

With my kids this is my food mill.
This is an extended process but my grandmother would not have it any other way.  If we had a banana, I would take the fork and mash the banana while added a little milk.  For a real treat the kids would get, black eyed peas, cornbread, and "pot liquor."
Do any of you out there feed your kids from the table?

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog thru Dreamers into Doers and I'm loving it!
    I'm from Brazil so when I had my son I wanted to keep some of our culture and he's now 14 months and eat everything we eat, even salad. We sit together to have dinner and whatever he sees in our plate he wants it. So far is working :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that is great! I have three kids and all were fed "from the table". This also allowed them to try new foods. Eating salad is definitely great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete