Monday, January 24, 2011

{Gardening} Gardening Dilema....What to Plant???

I have lived in Japan and Italy.  During those times, I have had patio tomatoes and a few herbs that I have enjoyed but never a full garden because I know that I could not take it with me or something that I could continue from year to year.  In Italy, I did not have a yard and in Japan I did not have a big yard so most of the time I had container plants.  Now that I am back in the US and have my own yard, I want to plant a garden.  I am a subscriber of the Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  One of the things that she suggested is to order your seed catalogs now and decide what you would like to plant.  I thought this was a great idea being that I am a procrastinator and tend to always wait until the last minute.  I was so excited and set out to order seed catalogs.  I received my catalogs one by one and now I have a problem.  I want to plant so many things but I do not have enough room.  I do not have acres and acres of land but there is so much that I would like to plant.  Burpee gardens has a great online catalog if you do not have time to wait at:http://www.qg.com/smartools/ebook/hosted.rails?issue=9acdfd4811704936a6d5e8f7b860ef12f47fc85568ce42b594b8e8f7b860ef12
I also received a catalog from Harris Seeds and I received frequent emails Urban Farmer.  I do want a few plants and I thought that the Blueberry Lime Jam Petunias  would be perfect for my backyard patio.


I am not sure what I would like on the front but I thought maybe some Zinnias or Marigolds would be nice.





  I am more concerned with the fruit and vegetables that I am wanting to plant for the summer.  I already place an order at California Root Stock for grape plants.  While staying in Italy, I was fortunate to attend a winemaking place and I would like to try my hand at that.  If nothing else I have to have tomatoes and fresh herbs.   I have analyzed the different plants and the way the sun hits our backyard.  I would like to plant corn, eggplant, zucchini, strawberries, peppers, and watermelon and that is just to name a few.  This fall I planted only turnips and a mesclun mix of lettuce and I absolutely LOVED it.  Not only was it fresh but my family and friends wanted more.  I love gardening because I know what I am putting into MY garden, the only problem is space planning.  I know that I cannot take up the entire back yard because my kids will have nowhere to play but I want to enjoy the outdoors and reap the fruits of my labor, and just eat fresh.

Do you any of you have any suggestions on space planning?  If you plan on planting a garden let me know what you will have in your garden this year.  I will keep you posted and post pics of our 2011 garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment