Thursday, February 3, 2011

{Kitchen} Freezer Cooking

Once upon a time I would make a weekly menu for the family and this is how I planned my grocery shopping.  Those were the best days because we knew exactly what we were having each day no questions ask.  Somehow I have fallen by the wayside but I will get back on track soon.  For the last few days, I have been waiting until the afternoon and asking myself, “what are we going to eat tonight?”  I start looking through the hundreds of cookbooks and magazines that I have and nothing is really popping out at me.  Then I look on the internet for quick meals, and different recipes and nothing there is really popping out.  I know that I have so many under 30 minute meals but I will tell you from start to finish all of them are OVER 30 minutes.  Most of the times if I do see a recipe that I want to make, there are so many ingredients involved and most of them I do not have on hand and.... another trip to the grocery store.
Tired of going through the same situation every day, today I did a little “freezer cooking.”   In the February edition of Martha Stewart’s Living magazine she has a great recipe for a Ground-Meat Mix.  I took the base of the recipe added some Italian spices and parmesan reggiano cheese and made Italian meatballs.  I bought a cute little meat baller scoop years ago (but I added the same meat baller scoop that I have to my Amazon widget below just in case you are looking for one) so I had 62 cute meatballs. 


I put them on a baking tray in a big Ziploc bag so that they would not lose shape and once frozen, I took them off of the baking sheet and into the bag.  When I can’t think of what to have for dinner, I can easily make spaghetti with meatballs or use them as an appetizer .

The next recipe, I have been making for about a year on a regular basis because it is that good.  It is another Martha Stewart recipe.  It is Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes.  This recipe makes enough for two batches.  Now, Martha Stewart states that you can cook one now and save the other for later.  The first one that I make never tastes as good as the one that I freeze.  I think that it is because the flavors have time to “marry” when you freeze them as opposed to when you first make the dish.  I use Martha’s recipe as a base but I always have to go a step further.  For example, I use more chicken breast, and instead of using just salt and pepper, I also use Italian seasonings which really wakes the chicken up.  I also use a provolone/mozzarella mix because while staying in Italy the provolone by itself was very pungent to me.  





 This dish is perfect with a salad and garlic bread.  I have popped this dish when we had friends over and they think that I have been in the kitchen for hours.  Here is the finished product once it goes into the freezer:







 I wish that I could have made more “freezer meals” but my freezer is only so big but this is a good start for those days when I just can’t figure out…what our family will eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment