Sunday, February 6, 2011

{Gardening} Seeds Ordered

I tried to trim down my seed order  for this year’s garden but it kept getting longer and longer.  I put items in my shopping cart and then took them out and then put them back in.  Needless to say, I have my seeds ordered.  I plan to start some of them inside so that once I think the last frost has past  they will be ready for planting outside.  I ordered from Burpee Gardening.  It was so helpful to read the reviews that others had written about different types of seeds.  Because of this I will make sure that I also provide a review about my gardening experience in hopes that maybe it will help someone else.  I ordered the following items:
·         Zinnia (Cut and Come Again)
·         Baby Leaf Lettuce Mix
·         Fordhook Summer Squash
·         Fourth of July Tomatoes
·         Roma Tomatoes
·         Bell Pepper (Gypsy)
·         Sweet California Peppers
·         Cucumber (Sweeter Yet)
·         Cilantro
·         Sugar Baby Watermelon
·         Earliglow Strawberry
·         Tenderpod Bush Bean
·         Maple Sugar Corn
·         Eggplant
·         Spinach
·         Argula
·         Basil (Genovese and Sweet)
·         Oregano
·         Thyme
·         Nasturtium (Empress of India)
·         Gourmet Blend Lettuce
·         Lavender
·         Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes
This seems like a lot and it is. I really tried to eliminate some items but I am so excited because this is my first summer back in the United States with my own yard so I wanted to go big.  I plan on doing some garden planning before I actually begin planting all of the items listed above.

I picked up the latest Urban Farm magazine edition (March/April 2011), they had a great article entitled The Birds and the Bees.  It states that pollination is an important part of growing fruits and vegetables.  Birds and bees transfer pollen therefore it is encouraged to plant flowers that bees are attracted to in order for them to pollinate the crops. 

I can’t wait until my order arrives.  I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment